Tom - K7ITM

Please introduce yourself to the group in this forum.

Tom - K7ITM

Postby bruhnstv » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:54 am

Hi! I've been a member for about half a year now. Like many makers, I have perhaps too many interests and never quite enough tools. Below, I offer what I enjoy working on, what I feel I'm pretty good at, and some of the tools I have that others may find useful. If I don't feel like you're taking advantage of me, I'm usually willing to help make things, fix things and learn things.

I enjoy woodworking - - building and repairing small things, up to cabinets and bookshelves -- and sometimes get involved in home repair and improvement. I'm not afraid to get involved in carpentry, plumbing and electrical work, and try to insure that what I do follows code. I've installed perhaps a couple hundred square feet of ceramic tile in bathrooms: floors and shower stall walls, and have done some concrete work. I enjoy making mechanical things out of steel, aluminum, brass, plastics (acetal is a favorite for lathe work...sometimes Teflon...using PVC pipe for various mechanical things...) and even wood, using old-school tools like lathe, mill, and hand tools, and am learning to think of 3D printing and laser cutting/engraving for my work, now that I have access to those tools. I'm happy to weld and braze things using oxy-acetylene and MIG (and flux-core). I also do some sheet-metal work...small enclosures and shields and mounting brackets for electronics, mostly, using a combo shear/press brake. For all of that and more, I'd call myself a careful hacker...certainly not an expert, but always happy to learn.

My expertise is in electronics. I was an electronics designer with Hewlett-Packard/Agilent Technologies until my retirement, and I still do occasional consulting. I work mainly in the analog domain, from microwatts to kilowatts, from DC to a couple GHz, but integrate digital (especially real-time signal processing) into my designs to do things that can't be done in either analog or digital alone. I often work with feedback control systems...including at high RF frequencies. I enjoy teaching about electronics, and look for ways to relate concepts to things people can easily grasp, and things they may already know about.

Tools: Various non-numerically-controlled things to work with metal+plastics (cutting, forming, joining), wood (sawing, planing, shaping), concrete (mixing, smoothing, drilling), electronics (building, testing). I'm usually willing to let people borrow things, sometimes along with me to operate them, or to do some small operation in my shop. You'll need to ask for details.
bruhnstv

Return to Introductions