FrankenVinci

Share your info and experiences on 3D printing here.

FrankenVinci

Postby Stephen » Wed May 03, 2017 9:15 pm

So i fell for the whole Davinci Pro marketing spiel when getting into 3D printers. It has been one frusterating experience and guaranteed to turn away young people getting into 3D printing, which is what i bought it for (my kids) some are young and the other a teen so i wanted something that could print advanced filaments as well as be safe for kids.

Unfortunately to get a reliable print the Davinci needs a lot of mods then comes the 240c closed firmware limitation preventing advanced filaments from being used.

So after many painful head scratching days we finally decided to gut the proprietary controller and upgrade to the DuetWifi with 7" panel due... we have it alive but there is still more to be done. Just figured i would contribute to this forum in case others ever have questions doing something similar.

Here are some photos more to come soon:

Stephen

Re: FrankenVinci

Postby Stephen » Sun May 14, 2017 1:09 pm

Some update photos, just got done putting it back together and installing the new cable management sleeves. Overall I am impressed with how smooth it runs with this board. I do wish that I had used Igus bearings instead of printing my own...though I do see that Igus sells 3D printer filament :) ... maybe down the road after the CNC build is done I will take this back apart.

Stephen

Return to 3D Printing