Workshop programming the ESP8266 WiFi board

Project ideas and links for the next generation of Makers.

Workshop programming the ESP8266 WiFi board

Postby Kevinlcarlson » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:11 am

The ESP8266 has been around for little more than a year, but has already established a reputation for itself.
With this board, your Arduino can communicate over the Internet. This board also has its own processor and I/O pins, meaning that you can communicate with the Internet without using an Arduino.

These topics will be covered in an upcoming workshop, with Part 1 on 3/12/2016 and Part 2 on 3/19/2016

Please check this link for more info:

http://www.meetup.com/SnoCo-Makers/events/228869302/

Hope to see you there!

P.S. I'm working with NRF24L01 boards for communication between Arduinos, without the need for a router or Internet connection. Anyone else using these boards?
Kevinlcarlson
Site Admin

Re: Workshop programming the ESP8266 WiFi board

Postby Kevinlcarlson » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:06 pm

For those who couldn't attend, I thought this was a very interesting introduction to WiFi communications using the Arduino and the $2 ESP8266 board. In next week's final session, we will be programming NodeMCU devices using the Lua language, without using an Arduino.

In May, version 1.0 of MicroPython for the ESP8266 will be released, following a highly successful Kickstarter campaign. I believe that this will open up many new opportunities for this device, including MQTT and Over The Air programming.
I'll keep you posted!
Kevinlcarlson
Site Admin

Return to Kids' Korner